Galveston and San Juan 70.3 – Got my bad races out of the way early this year…

One bad race and one mechanically bad race is out of the way. Technically, that means the rest of the season should be all good, starting in New Orleans this weekend.

San Juan: I don’t really know what happened in San Juan. I made a few small errors leading into the race, like not doing my proper taper and warmup for the race. I made a lot of little mistakes, for example, not getting any riding done while I was down there due to the traffic and location of the hotel. Also, being in the hotel room, I didn’t have access to boiling water to make my normal breakfast of oatmeal and bananas. I started off with a mediocre swim, which put me behind in the group. I rode hard all day, but didn’t get where I needed to be. My run was just blah. Nutritionally, I felt great. I think that all went well. However, it was good to be able to finish with teammate, BigSexy. We crossed the finish line together. Not holding hands though, like Michael insinuated. It would have made a good picture though…he is named BigSexy for a reason :). After the race, I decided to drown my sorrows in a couple of mojitos with T.O. and my friend Trav. A couple turned into a couple more, which turned into a couple more. I guess the sorrow was running pretty deep. It needed a lot of drowning. I didn’t get back to the hotel until 2. Then I had to get up at 3 to catch my flight home. Managed to make the first flight, but then fell asleep in Miami and missed my next flight. I spent the rest of the day trying to get home. Unfortunately, I made myself sick for the next 2 weeks. I’m a genius. Hopefully I’ve learned my lesson (I’m sure I’ve said that before).

Galveston: Let me tell you a little bit about Muppets. Muppets like to throw tacks on race courses. Just wished I could have seen who it was so I could stick a couple of tacks where the sun don’t shine. I’m sure I’m speaking for the many age groupers who got flats as well. Anyways, my swim was an improvement over San Juan. There is still work to be done though. It was an extremely hard ride. The cross-wind on the ride made conditions really tough. For the first 40 miles, I felt good and was a couple hundred meters off the front pack. I felt comfortable going into the turnaround. Unfortunately that’s when my day ended, so I can only guess that was when I was going to have an absolute cracker run. T.O. ran a 1:12, so I’m guessing I would have run a 1:10, just catching Lieto with a few hundred meters to go and outsprinting him for the win. I’m pretty sure that’s how it would have played out. That’s my story, I’m sticking to it.

Looking forward to getting these next few races out of the way so that I can start my ironman training for Rev3 Cedar Point.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *